LLM Company Law - Full-time
The University of Law Postgraduate Programmes
Manchester, United Kingdom
Distance Learning, On-Campus
GBP 18,500 *
Earliest start date
* 2024/25: UK - £13,450 London | £11,900 non-London; International - London | £17,000 non-London
Our LLMs from our new Master's in Law suite of programs are designed for law and non-law graduates who want to explore the practical application of a particular, specialist area of the law. Study face-to-face or online.
Students should possess a UK bachelor’s degree in any subject at 2:2 or above or equivalent qualifications. Non-law students must complete a compulsory two-week induction covering the Key Principles of the English Legal System unless they can evidence the successful completion of an LLB (or equivalent) or a minimum of 3 legal modules worth at least 80 QCF credits, which must include - English Legal System, Contract Law and Law of Tort.
Our LLMs from our new Master's in Law suite of programs are designed for law graduates who want to explore the practical application of a particular, specialist area of the law. Study face-to-face or online.
LLM Company Law
The LLM Company Law is an innovative, flexible program designed for law and non-law graduates who would like to gain essential in-depth knowledge of Company Law in Practice. Whether you have plans to join a global corporation or simply want to know more about how corporate law works in practice, this program will provide you with the knowledge to help you achieve your ambitions.
When you study the LLM Company Law with us you will:
- Be taught by subject matter experts, former and current practitioners, and research and teaching-focused academics.
- Focus on legal practice, not just theory.
- Benefit from strategic partnerships with firms, regulators, and accreditation bodies.
- Learn about Legal Technology by selecting to study modules in legal technology.
- Improve your employability by gaining important transferable skills and mapping your career with our careers team.
The award-linked module for this program (Company Law and Compliance) will cover areas such as formation and incorporation, legal personality, directors’ duties, minority shareholder protection mechanisms, shares, and insolvency. This module aims to put company law into context, enabling you to learn how to apply complex theoretical concepts to real-world client situations.
In addition to a general induction to the program, there is a two-week induction covering the Key Principles of the English Legal System. This is compulsory for non-law students, but also open to students wanting a refresher in the fundamentals of the law of England and Wales. This would be useful for any student who has taken a considerable break from legal education.
To help prepare you for your dissertation you’ll study a range of compulsory and further optional Research Methods Training sessions in your first terms.
Please note that, due to Home Office regulations, students who require a Student Route visa to study with us are not permitted to study online and can only choose face-to-face taught modules.
Terms 1 & 2 (full-time)
Two-week induction: For non-law students, this includes a compulsory introduction to the law of England and Wales which must be completed before commencing your first modules.
You will complete:
- Company Law and Compliance
- Research Methods Training (sessions throughout Terms 1 and 2)
You may then choose three* from the list of elective modules which includes modules such as:
- Corporate Governance and Disruptive Technology
- International Trade Law
- International Corporate Governance
*All elective modules are subject to availability.
Term 3 (full-time)
- Dissertation in Company Law
Modules are assessed by a three-hour unseen written examination or a 4,500-word coursework assignment.
Attendance at one of our UK campuses (or an approved overseas center by prior arrangement) is required for all examinations, including for online study.
The default campus location for online study is London.
The dissertation module will be assessed by submission of a thesis (15,000 words) and provides an opportunity for a sustained, in-depth, and intensive investigation into, and reflection upon, a specialist area of Company Law.
How to Apply
- You can apply for this course directly with the University.
- This course cannot be chosen to study alongside our Legal Practice Course (LPC).
We have students from over 120 different countries throughout our campuses, with a dedicated team to help international students.
- 2023/24: UK - £12,550 (London), £11,350 (Non-London), INT - £17,500 (London), £15,100 (Non-London)
- 2024/25: UK - £13,450 (London), £11,900 (Non-London), INT - £18,500 (London), £17,000 (Non-London)